Friday, May 22, 2009

J. C. Watts Says He Won't Run For Governor

J. C. Watts announced today that because of business and contractural obligations in Washington, he will not seek the Republican nomination for governor next year.
The announcement followed 24 hours of speculation he would opt not to make the race. The former 4th District congressman has built a thriving lobbying business and is in demand as a public speaker at conservative and business events.
Watts issued this statement: "After much prayer and deliberation with my family and friends. It is with a heavy heart that my wife and I have decided not to run for governor in 2010. I have observed with great interest and pride the progress my state is making under the bold and innovative leadership of the state legislature. Nothing would give me greater joy and satisfaction than to go work with these leaders to grow and prosper Oklahoma. However, my current business and contractual obligations create hurdles that I cannot overcome at this time. Oklahoma has much to offer both nationally and internationally. I would challenge the candidates running for governor to put their best foot forward to advocate for us on both stages. The new Governor must aggressively pursue and promote the virtues of our state. I would cherish that opportunity, but unfortunately that will not be in 2010. Many Oklahomans, Republican and Democrat, red, yellow, black, brown and white, from all walks of life encouraged me to make the race. I am deeply honored, humbled and grateful for the confidence they have shown in me.
I'm sorry we won't fulfill our goals together. I will continue to work for a prosperous and thriving Oklahoma, this glorious place we call home and the rest of the world calls America."
Congresswoman Mary Fallin, an announced candidate for the GOP nomination for governor, said, "J. C. Watts has been a great friend and a great asset to the people of Oklahoma. He is a popular figure both here and nationally and I am sure he will continue to find success in or out of politics. Decisions like this are never easy but at the end of the day I am sure he did what he felt was best for him and his family."

Labels: , ,

Share |