Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Boren Votes Against Nancy Pelosi

Congressman Dan Boren
Congressman Dan Boren was one of 18 Democrats who voted against Nancy Pelosi as speaker today.

Boren cast his vote for Health Shuler, a conservative Democrat from North Carolina, to become the Speaker of the House of Representatives for the 112th Congress. The final vote tally was 241 votes for John Boehner (R-OH), 171 votes for Pelosi (D-CA) and 19 votes for other candidates.

Many of the Democrats who cast votes against Pelosi are members of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of fiscally conservative House Democrats which Boren helps lead.

“Following the results of the 2010 midterm elections, it was my hope that the Democratic Caucus would elect a leader that was more moderate and determined to reach consensus. At countless town halls and public gatherings citizens have asked me time and again to support a candidate for Speaker who is more conservative and less divisive. I told the voters of my district that I would not support Speaker Pelosi - today I kept my word.”

Share |