Stillwater Clerk Loses, Gets Old Job Back
By Jacob Longan/Stillwater NewsPress ~ Glenna Craig says her time away from her job will make her better at it.She worked in the Payne County Election Board for 20 years, including the last eight as secretary, until resigning June 1 to run for county clerk.She lost to incumbent Linda Hatfield by a vote of 1,728-1,351 in the Democratic primary on July 29. Because no Republican entered the race, that primary served as the general election.As of Wednesday, Craig is back in her old position at the election board. She was appointed by the Oklahoma State Election Board at Tuesday’s meeting.“The position had not been filled,” Craig said. “With my experience and years of service, they were anxious to have me back in this position. I was more than happy to return. I’ve always said this job and my precinct officials are dear to my heart.”Craig had not before run for public office. She said she now has a better understanding of the candidates’ points of view having been through the fire of a campaign. She added that doesn’t change the law or what her office can do, but it will make her better at her job.“I ran an ethical, positive campaign,” Craig said. “I’d encourage those who run to continue to be respectful to each other during the process. I think that’s important.”Her appointment means she will be in the job until April 30, which would have been her original end date before she resigned.The position will then be open for appointment by the state senator for district 21. Former Oklahoma State University President James Halligan, a Republican, and former Payne County Associate District Judge Bob Murphy, a Democrat, are vying for the seat. State Senate Co-President Pro Tempore, Stillwater Democrat Mike Morgan — who re-appointed Craig several times — cannot seek re-election due to term limits.
[Murphy, who resigned as a judge to make the Senate race, has since reapplied for appointment to that post. Thus, the circumstances cited in this story are not lost on Republicans, who claim Murphy now knows he will lose the Senate race and wants his old job back. Murphy says that's not true but simply wants to serve.]Asked for comment Tuesday, both Halligan and Murphy said they are focused on their election and have not thought about potential appointments.Craig expressed confidence both will “see the necessity of keeping leadership experience in the election board.”“I will gladly serve either one,” she added. “This is a non-partisan job. I’ve been very ethical and I think that will show in the work we have done.”She said she was grateful for the opportunity to return to her old job and she has a “public-servant heart.”
Labels: Bob Murphy, Glenna Craig


<< Home