Benge Apologizes To Cherokee Chief, Says Liebmann Action 'Unfortunate'
From The Capitol Bureau, Tulsa World ~ The speaker of the House said Thursday that he has apologized to the chief of the Cherokee Nation after he was prohibited from speaking against a bill to make English the state's official language.
Speaker Chris Benge (pictured), himself a member of the Cherokee tribe, said it was unfortunate that Chief Chad Smith did not get a chance to speak before the bill was approved Wednesday by the House General Government and Transportation Committee.
"I did express to him it was unfortunate he was not able to express his opinion," Benge said.
Committee Chairman Guy Liebmann, R-Oklahoma City, declared Wednesday that the gathering was not a public meeting and denied requests from two Democratic lawmakers that Smith be allowed to speak.
At one point, Liebmann said to the chief: "If you don't be quiet, I'm going to have to call somebody to put you out. I'm sorry."
The chief (at right) said he wanted to tell the committee that Cherokees strongly oppose assimilation because the tribe is clearly a separate nation.
Benge said that Liebmann did have the discretion of prohibiting public comment, but "I'd err on the side of making (committee meetings) as public as possible."
The committee approved the bill calling for a vote of the people on a constitutional amendment requiring that all official state government business be conducted in English. It now moves to consideration in the full House.
Speaker Chris Benge (pictured), himself a member of the Cherokee tribe, said it was unfortunate that Chief Chad Smith did not get a chance to speak before the bill was approved Wednesday by the House General Government and Transportation Committee.
"I did express to him it was unfortunate he was not able to express his opinion," Benge said.
Committee Chairman Guy Liebmann, R-Oklahoma City, declared Wednesday that the gathering was not a public meeting and denied requests from two Democratic lawmakers that Smith be allowed to speak.
At one point, Liebmann said to the chief: "If you don't be quiet, I'm going to have to call somebody to put you out. I'm sorry."
The chief (at right) said he wanted to tell the committee that Cherokees strongly oppose assimilation because the tribe is clearly a separate nation.Benge said that Liebmann did have the discretion of prohibiting public comment, but "I'd err on the side of making (committee meetings) as public as possible."
The committee approved the bill calling for a vote of the people on a constitutional amendment requiring that all official state government business be conducted in English. It now moves to consideration in the full House.
Labels: Chad Smith, Chris Benge, Guy Liebmann


<< Home