Saturday, June 9, 2007

The Gadfly On The Wall

Shame On The Home Depot: I've made my last purchase at The Home Depot in Midwest City. It has been one of my regular haunts, for everything from plants to ceiling fans to carpets. No more. My ire is directed at a company policy that resulted in the firing of four male employees for helping police stop three shoplifters and recover property they had taken from the store. While the four men were praised by Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes and rewarded by a citizen whose stolen vehicle they helped recover, they were sent packing because The Home Depot has a policy that, apparently, says employees should turn the other way when they see crimes being committed. For their lawful actions, and sense of responsibility to their employer, they were fired. Today, Bob Stewart, Nathan Wilhoit, Steve Richard and Kyle Foust are looking for new jobs. Were I a stockholder in The Home Depot, I'd cash out and put my money in a company where management and policies generate respect instead of derision.
How Fast? Immediacy is the currency of the blogosphere; instantaneous posting of information (and news) sends ripples across the general landscape, the political landscape in particular. Thus, I am unable to explain why some blogs go days, sometimes weeks, without posts. It is the nature of the blogosphere that we information-seekers prowl constantly, looking for new information or insight. If I hit a blog a couple of times in a day and there have been no new posts, I put that blog at the end of my list. Some, I dismiss totally. Many blogs, of course, are written by those who do other things and don't have the time to post constantly. But those blogs that purport to share news, seems to me, should do so. "Hit and miss" postings on news blogs diminish credibility and interest. It's just like getting this morning's newspaper with yesterday's stories repeated.
Losing Friends: It is the nature of life that we face death. This week, I've lost two friends of many years. Harry Hill was my friend for more than two decades and I marveled at how much he and Neva got done in a day's time. Harry had been through a year of crippling health problems but remained upbeat throughout. George Barnes was my friend for three and a half decades and although I'd not seen much of him in recent years, he'd occasionally call ("Barnes here!") and we'd chat. Back in the days when Don Cogman, Herb Johnson and Betty Brake and I officed above the Republican State Headquarters on 23rd, George officed just around the corner and we often visited.
Immigration Fiasco: It may be the drinking water in Washington that infects so many politicians in both parties. Tom Coburn and Jim Inhofe must be drinking bottled water since they are among the few talking sense on the immigration issue. Blanket amnesty is not an answer to dealing with illegal immigrants.
Travel Time: Governor Brad Henry and former Lieutenant Governor Mary Fallin billed the state nearly $278,000 for out-of-state trips in 2005 and 2006. Henry spent nearly $260,000 while Fallin spent almost $18,000. Nearly 40% of the cost, more than $106,000, was for security which is required by state law to travel with the governor and lieutenant governor. Henry traveled out of state 33 times and used the state airplane for several trips. Records show 14 of those trips were paid for by groups such as the Oklahoma Business Roundtable, the state Centennial Commission and from personal funds. Fallin made 14 trips while lieutenant governor during the two years.

Labels:

Share |