Tuesday, January 30, 2007

KTOK's Mullins Guest Professor At OCCC


By Matthew Coury, OCCC News Writing Student ~ Radio news show Host Reid Mullins joined Oklahoma City Community College as an adjunct professor of Journalism and Mass Media Communications last semester. The opportunity arose when he received a call from friend and co-worker Gwin Faulconer-Lippert, mass communications professor. She told Mullins she would not be able to teach the rest of the semester due to a health problem. Gwin has recuperated and is back in the classroom this semester.
“She called me up and said, ‘I know that you’ve taught audio production classes before at OU,” said Mullins. “I need you to teach my audio production class at OCCC.”
Mullins said he jumped at the chance to repay Faulconer-Lippert for how well she’s treated him and others when they worked together. “I’d be willing to help her with anything,” said Mullins. “I love to teach.”
Mullins and Faulconer-Lippert are co-workers at the local Clear Channel radio network located at 50 Penn Place.
Mullins said everyone should pursue a college degree, something he earned as a student worker.
“When I was in college, through the first half of school, I cleaned bathrooms for extra money,” Mullins said. “If you’ve never gone to a truck stop on I-40, and scraped scum and algae off of a shower stall with a single-edge razor blade, then you haven’t lived.”
Two of Mullins’ buddies, with whom he was rooming, already had jobs working in radio, and Mullins thought it was time he gave it a shot. He’s been doing it ever since. Mullins worked as a sports programming engineer, production manager and a deejay for six radio stations before attaining his current position as a show host.
“About a year and a half ago I was selected to be the morning host of News Radio 1000 KTOK,” said Mullins.

Labels: ,

Share |