Monday, March 30, 2009

Cole Says No To Race For Governor

By Jim Myers/Tulsa World Washington Bureau ~ U.S. Rep. Tom Cole announced Monday he will not run for governor next year.
"It was a close call. I thought about it long and hard,'' the Oklahoma Republican said. "Strangely enough at the end, I thought Oklahoma was doing awfully well.''
Cole then cited challenges on the federal level, adding that he thought he could offer more for Oklahoma by remaining in Congress. Taxes and budget issues topped his list of concerns. Cole said his philosophy has been ''you always ride to the sound of the guns.''
A new member of the House Appropriations Committee, one of the more coveted panels in Congress, Cole also reflected on the importance of that appointment as well as the seniority he has built up in his current post.
"I am pretty pleased with the candidates that are out there,'' he said.
Rep. Mary Fallin already has jumped into the race on the Republican side, and former Rep. J.C. Watts and state Sen. Randy Brogdon are considering a bid.
Cole's announcement will fuel speculation that Watts will make the race. The two men have been close friends for years.
"I certainly would never run against J.C. Watts,'' Cole said, adding, however, his decision against running was not connected to Watts' future. "I don't know what he is going to do.''
Asked if he would be make an endorsement, Cole said it would be premature for him to say.
On the Democratic side, Lt. Gov. Jari Askins has said she is running and Attorney General Drew Edmondson is scheduled to make an announcement later this year. State Treasurer Scott Meacham is considered a potential candidate

Labels: , , , , , ,

Share |